Ten Ways to Manage Your Herpes
Symptoms and Relieve
While there is no cure for herpes, and no guaranteed method of preventing the
recurrence of herpes outbreaks, the following treatments can help relieve pain and discomfort.
1. Practice good hygiene. Keep your body clean, wash your hands
frequently and try to avoid touching the sores.
2. Take salt baths. This method can clean, dry and ease the pain of
blisters and sores. Mix a few tablespoons of salt in a shallow bath.
3. Cool the affected area. Applying ice directly to the sores or
drying the area with a blow dryer on the cool setting can offer some relief.
4. Wear loose-fitting clothing. Loose clothing reduces discomfort
and promotes healing of the sores. Wear cotton, rather than synthetic underwear.
5. Wear sun block. Keeping your skin protected can help prevent the
recurrence of HSV-1.
6. Urinate in a cool bath or shower. If you experience painful
urination, this process dilutes the urine and prevents burning the sores.
7. Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water each day.
8. Practice abstinence when you are experiencing symptoms of herpes.
Help prevent the spread of herpes by avoiding sexual activity when you are experiencing any symptoms, including
tingling, itching or tenderness at the site of infection.
9. Take over-the-counter medicines. Reduce fever and tenderness by
taking acetaminophen, aspirin or ibuprofen.
10. Stay stress-free. Lowering stress can boost the immune system
and possibly reduce your symptoms.
Genital Herpes and Your Sex Life